PlazaCorp has proposed a 45-storey condominium tower at 20 to 26 Maitland Street, where the former Catholic Children's Aid headquarters and a Victorian house now stand.
A more ambitious project, for which a community consultation was held in April 2017, has been dropped. That concept plan envisioned two towers on Maitland Street of 50 and 29 storeys, with about two-thirds of the previous Green P parking lot designated public park. The new proposal does not include any of the Green P parking lot.
PlazaCorp's Planning and Urban Design Rationale
City Staff Preliminary Report
The report identifies numerous issues with the proposal, some of which are:
• The height, massing, and scale of the proposal in relation to the existing and planned context;
• Transition in height and massing to adjacent lands;
• Proposed location of the tower and transition and separation distance to the adjacent low-rise built form;
• Potential shadowing impacts on the adjacent open spaces, public realm and neighbouring properties;
• Interface of the proposed built form with the adjacent public realm;
• Potential wind impacts on the adjacent properties and public realm.
Local residents will be notified of a community consultation once it is scheduled.
For links to further and updated information, see our Interactive Map.